Los Angeles County (August 20, 2021) – The Greater Los Angeles County Vector Control District (GLACVCD/District) has confirmed 10 additional mosquito samples that tested positive for West Nile virus (WNV). This brings the total number of positive samples within the District’s service area to 19 this year. The new positive samples were collected from six new areas: Downey, Downtown Los Angeles, Mission Hills, Norwalk, Woodland Hills, and Valley Glen.
West Nile virus is endemic to Los Angeles County, and warm temperatures can increase virus activity and mosquito populations. As of August 20, 2021, 15 WNV human cases have been reported in California this year, one of which was identified by the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health (LACDPH). Visit VectorSurv Maps for a comprehensive look at this year’s West Nile Virus activity throughout Los Angeles County and Southern California.
- Mosquito control is a shared responsibility and residents must take an active role in reducing the threat of WNV in their neighborhoods by taking these additional steps:
- Eliminate standing water in clogged rain gutters, rain barrels, discarded tires, buckets, watering troughs or anything that holds water for more than a week.
- Ensure that swimming pools, spas, and ponds are properly maintained.
- Change the water in pet dishes, bird baths and other small containers weekly.
- Wear EPA-approved and CDC-recommended insect repellent when outdoors where mosquitoes may be present.
- Report neglected (green) swimming pools in your neighborhood to your vector control district.
- Share this information with your community to decrease mosquito populations.
For an extensive list of sources and recommended solutions, visit www.tiptosstakeaction.org. For more information, residents can contact the Greater Los Angeles County Vector Control District at 562-944-9656, online at www.glacvcd.org, or on social media: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram.
Anais Medina Diaz, Public Information Officer | email@example.com
Mary-Joy Coburn, Director of Communications | firstname.lastname@example.org